Quantcast

I swung into the Petaluma GameStop the other day to pick up a backup copy of “Culdcept Saga” they had on hold for me. (I’ve taken my copy in and out of the DVD case so many times it’s started to crack a bit near the spindle, can you believe it? I figured it was best to grab another while the game can still be had for $20.) While I was there, I decided to pick up Wii MotionPlus, the new Wii accessory that allows for more realistic motion tracking in games. A copy of “Wii Sports Resort” (rated E, $50, out Sunday) arrived on my desk last week. It comes bundled with one Wii MotionPlus, but if I want to play the game with my wife or a friend, I’d need an additional MotionPlus.

Wii MotionPlus is supposed to sell for $20, but GameStop charged me $25. Unfortunately, because I was in a hurry, battling a head cold and was buying more than one thing, I didn’t realize I’d paid higher than the suggested retail price until I was sitting at my desk in Santa Rosa. Then I remembered reading a couple of months ago, when GameStop first started taking preorders for MotionPlus, that they were charging more than everyone else for the peripheral. At the time, I kind of shrugged my shoulders, figured the screaming Internet hordes would generate a flood of complaints, and the price would come down by the time I actually bought one.

Well, I was wrong. GameStop is still charging a 20 percent premium for the accessory. I checked the websites for a handful of other large retailers that sell video games — Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target and Amazon — and they’re all selling Wii MotionPlus for around $20. (I couldn’t find a listing for the standalone device at Game Crazy’s site.) So don’t make the same mistake I did. If you’ve preordered “Wii Sports Resort” from GameStop, pick up that extra MotionPlus somewhere else.

I suppose I should say somewhere that I have no beef with GameStop otherwise. I shop there quite frequently. And the Petaluma store seems merely to be following corporate policy. (Wii MotionPlus is also $25 at gamestop.com.) But why pay $25 when you can only pay $20.

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments

11 Comments

1. Mike McQuay

Five dollars on top of twenty dollars is a 25% premium. I experienced the same thing at Best Buy when they had the Garmin Update ahead of others. I quit going there. But remember when WII first came out? It’s price tripled due to demand. But you’re right. If you can find it cheaper elsewhere, go there. Whatever.

July 23rd, 2009 7:08 pm

2. John Christopher

Gosh, you paid $5 more? Did you call GameStop and ask them for a refund on the difference? No, instead you spent all your time trashing them in an article.

So they charge $5 more, big deal! It’s your responsibility to be a savvy shopper. If there is an issue you should go back to the store and discuss the matter, or are you too busy playing games?

By the way Eric, jokes about swine flu are not funny. Apparently, you neglected to remove the reference when you posted your diatribe. A patient at Kaiser Santa Rosa just died from it (or don’t you read your own newspaper).

July 23rd, 2009 8:33 pm

3. GameWit

John,

I don’t think I trashed GameStop at all. I shop there all the time and will continue to do so. I just don’t see any reason for anyone else to pay $5 extra for something when they don’t need to. To be honest, I didn’t look too closely at the price when I was in the store because games and game accessories, when bought new, are pretty much the same price everywhere, so there’s typically not much reason to comparison shop. It’s easy to overlook an extra $5.

That’s a good point about the swine flu joke. I’ll take it out. I’ve actually been home sick for a couple of days with a cold/flu thing and let my mild paranoia about my cold get the best of me. It was in extremely poor taste. My apologies.

Eric

July 23rd, 2009 9:55 pm

4. jake

gamestop is good but the prices suck.just like target.

July 24th, 2009 1:52 pm

5. GameWit

The prices for new video games and consoles are pretty much the same everywhere you look. There might be sales every now and then, but the base prices are fairly consistent.

July 25th, 2009 12:26 am

6. mike wilcox

Gamestop Blows I purchased this at play n trade for 19.99 and was more than happy , game stop is the worst with service and ripping people off for trades and the price of their games new and used . I would rather buy a new game from best buy than to shop there , they opened a play n trade near buy a little further than game stop and they are great with service and pricing new and used . I would pipe bomb gamestop if federal jail time was not involved LOL

August 5th, 2009 10:13 am

7. Joey F

“Finally, you should be proud you spent an extra $5 at GameStop. In this economy your $5 probably helped saved them from having to close their doors permanently like so many other big box stores.”

A company (especially as big as Gamestop with 7 billion dollar revenue) should not markup their products any more than necessary just so they can keep one of their stores open. I’m sure they can manage just fine without having to try to rip off their customers. You say it’s part it’s the customer’s responsibility to be a savvy shopper? Well, it’s also the responsibility of the company to figure out a way to lower their costs of operation to competitively price their product and keep customers. Gamestop has the buying power to have competitive prices — yet they choose to markup their prices more than everyone else to return a higher profit.
    He shouldn’t pay 5 extra dollars there and be proud. He should pay 5 extra dollars, shake his head in disappointment, and wonder how long they can keep this up before their customers stop coming and they DO shut their doors.

August 10th, 2009 10:04 am

8. Dan

Gamestop blows. I asked if they could price match the price of the Wii motion thing for $19.99 and I would buy three, they said no. Never ever going back there for anything. I’m proud I don’t blow my money. Let them all shut their doors, their employees probably cannot afford health insurance and that blows too.

September 1st, 2009 12:53 pm

9. Jennifer the great

Can U say mountain out of a mole hill? I know I can. You all are blowing this thing way out of proportion. They charge five extra dollars, okay, then don’t buy it from them. When Gamestop realizes they aren’t selling any of them I’m sure they’ll change their tune.

November 26th, 2009 11:37 pm

10. Asher

I work at Gamestop, and have for several years. Yes, our Wii Motion Plus is $5 more. However, we have several accessories, games, etc, below other retailers. Our Wii Speak, for example, is $10 less than Wal Mart. Also, those who dislike GameStop because of customer service issues, that is a store-by-store basis, and there is a number that you can call to complain. Usually, GameStop looks into those issues thoroughly and tries their best to solve such issues. My store has won awards for customer service. Also, we can afford our health insurance just fine, and GameStop actually offers affordable, nice coverage to all of their employees.

April 23rd, 2010 8:59 pm

11. Dally

actually, today- almost 2 years later
    Walmart is still selling the individual motion plus for $25-not $20
    It has not lowered in price.

We should be complaining to Nintendo about forcing us to purchase YET another accessory to make our games work.
    Nintnedo is making more money on us all.

The little guy(small retail stores) are hardly getting by in this economy and a lot of them closing for good.
    If they all do, then even Walmart (the big chains) can charge $50, and we would have to pay it.

Walmarts come in and ruin towns and make small business’ fold and towns go bankrupt.

Keep shopping at the little stores.

July 18th, 2012 10:35 am

Submit Your Comments

Required

Required, will not be published